Loading
Elefun Project

Elefun Project

by amlo mchoun95 shruthin | updated January 24, 2015

Building an Elefun!

Clothing_icon
Electronics_icon

0

We were challenged to redesign a component of a children's game Elefun. We aim to accomplish this through the use of rapid prototyping methods.
The project will be broken down into two phases:
     1). We will attempt to recreate a functioning model of the base
     2). We will change the game by giving it more dimensions

January 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Created by mchoun95 and amlo
Comments (1)
This is a good place to put a more detailed design brief. What's the overall goal and challenge you were given? This will help both you and other understand exactly what you're doing.
almost 2 years ago

Priority 1:

Make fan

make circular base--must seperate fan from butterflies so they don't get caught in the fan (maybe some sort of mesh).

Priority 2:

find good material for the trunk

Priority 3:

Create different levels--make fan change speed

Priority 4:

Make it move? like a rumba 

find an easier way to clean up

 

January 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM
Created by amlo
Comments (1)
Any plan to build nets to catch the confetti?
almost 2 years ago

We built a paper funnel with electrical tape and inserted a computer fan. With the fan hooked up to an arduino circuit, we fed the fan some power to test whether it was strong enough to propel paper confetti sufficiently.

January 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

Changed the paper tunnel to foarm core for extra structure and added holes near base to increase airflow.

January 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

At this point we have made foamcore models and tested the power of three fans. We plan to refine the shell with lasercut pieces of acrylic and we plan on making a blue foam base for the three fans and the circuit.

January 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

January 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

We used blue foam to create elephant head bases to mount our trunks on. Blue foam was the ideal choice because it was the most structural and organic material we could find that was cheap. On top of that it was blue like Elefun.

January 17, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

In our third iteration of the trunk, We managed to get a larger fan to work. We used a foamcore box approx. 3" X 3" to hold the fan. The idea was that although the bigger fan had the same power, it had more surface area, therefore it could possibly be more powerful/efficient. 
By the end of the day we decided that we would just recreate the Elefun game by incorporating all three trunks.

January 17, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

January 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)

January 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM
Created by amlo
Comments (0)

Building Elefun was an interesting experience. It was fun and exciting building a children’s game, but we came across many issues that also made it difficult and frustrating. For example, getting the confetti (the “butterflies”) to stop getting caught in the fan was a nightmare. When we first tried using the yellow mesh, the confetti kept getting caught on the mesh or somehow getting under the mesh, making it difficult to get the butterflies to come out of the trunk we had constructed. After many design iterations, we finally got the smaller trunks to function with a different type of mesh. However, the large trunk was still an issue since we did not have a large enough piece of the different mesh. Overall, building Elefun was a good experience in learning how to overcome unforeseen problems. There were many complications and frustrations—the fan not being strong enough, the butterflies not coming out, the trunks not allowing the fan to get enough air, etc.—however, it was a valuable experience that has only helped me learn how to problem solve better.

January 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM
Created by amlo
Comments (0)

January 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Created by amlo
Comments (0)

I found this an interesting experience. Unfortunately, it seemed that our project was limited by the available hardware. If we had a more powerful fan many of the mechanical problems we had would have been taken care of and perhaps we could have focused more on the electronic side of the project.

If we had extra time to work on the electronics, I think we could have added some kind of element where the elephant could move around, or we could have programmed the three elephants to shoot confetti at different times.

Looking back now I think we could have just made due with what we had and just focused a little more on the electronics. The fans wouldn't have been very exciting and we probably wouldn't have had elephant models, but it would have been sufficient for the proof of concept for more Elefun game modes.

January 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Created by mchoun95
Comments (0)