Based on the children's game of the same name...
In Crocodile Dentist, the crocodile has many teeth, one of which is sore. During a game, individuals take turns pulling teeth while the crocodile's jaws are open. When the sore tooth gets pulled, the crocodile shuts his jaws the the person who pulled the sore tooth loses.
So we design this using an arduino, push buttons and an actuator.
The element of the game we are prototyping is the snapping of the jaws as the result of random sore tooth being pulled.
After building the teeth circuit, we added in our servomotor which will be used to control jaw movement. The video shows the complete functioning circuit on a breadboard. A sore tooth is selected at random and when pressed, the servomotor is triggered to close the jaws. The Arduino then resets the whole circuit and randomly selects a tooth to be the new sore tooth.
All we need now is to build the jaws and structure to contain the circuitry.
The final functioning prototype included:
1. Foam Fabrication, the movable head(snout) and the bottom jaw.
2. Colorful teeth (made of push buttons), which on being pressed can result in closing of the mouth.
3. The circuit as described earlier was used and the arduino placed inside the jaw
4. The opening and closing of the jaw is done using a servo motor shaft attached to the upper movable snout.
5. So the goal was achieved: the mouth closed in case a sore tooth was pressed and then the game reset (with a new random sore tooth being selected)
We had to callibrate the jaw position (using the servo) and then the angle it had to move (found that the range 45- 0 worked out great). initial postion should be open mouth so just had to close it asnd open it again after a short delay.
One thing that I would change for our design would be the upper jaw and how it is attached to the motor. The upper jaw that we made was heavy and since we ran out of time, it was not attached very well to the motor so it was not very stable.
For the team project, I helped with the brainstorming process. I was mainly involved in the design of the hardware, which included the structure of the jaws, and the mechanism to move the jaws. I was also involved in building the hardware.
I was not involved in the electronics for the project, and hope to be more involved in electronics for the final project. I would like to develop my skills in this area, as I have limited experience in it.
I did the arduino programming and helped with the circuit design.
We could have done better but we spent a lot of time deciding little things.. Make better plans nest time i suppose. :)
I would have liked to do better fabrication of our prototype: the jaws, with a separate cover for the electronic components and maybe a PCB instead of wires.
Use Laser cut plastic/ 3D printed/injection molded components instead of foam core to make it look and work better.
Ultimately, shape and cut and color to make it look like a crocodile.. (and not only the mouth!) :D
I really enjoyed working on this thing.. I had a lot of fun bouncing off crazy ideas for the design. All thanks to Christina and Tomo! Yay!
Also thanks a lot Cole, for helping us out of the servo-actuator design block!
I would add LED in each tooth so that users can figure out which teeth are taken by looking if LEDs on the teeth are on or of. I would also make circuitry as small as possible so that I does not look messy.
I planned and made circuits, My knowledge of arduino programming helped Meghna to find bugs we had quickly. Though soldering circuits, I leaned that the way I had done was wrong and I leaned the good way to solder wires.
i would like to improve arduino programming to help coding in case we need more programming.